Monday, December 06, 2004

Planning Commissioner Mike Antonini talks about his bid for chairmanship of the local Republican Party:

Last Wednesday I sent an e-mail to the old membership and those coming in, also to other interested Republicans. [Fighting among members, evidenced by a nasty e-mail battle between Antonini and Chairman Mike DeNunzio supporters] is unfortunatly one of the things that has been happening and on reason I'm running - infighting. Perhaps that would be better directed - more money, more voter reg. We have a great opportunity - voters agreed with us more often than the DCCC on many of the propositions. ... I think there are many people in SF who would be interested in hearing our arguments on these types of issues. I think the infighting was there long before I announced. ... I consider myself a moderate on most things - urban Republicanism. I'm in touch with solutions that make sense for S.F. and would work with Democrats and independents who feel the same as us on the issues. Let's work together, let's get it done. There is a disconnect between interest groups. An example was last election. Small business and big business, moderates - what we have to do is sit down at the table together, reach some concensus. ... I'm a Lakeside Village resident. ... I'm very appreciative of the work Chairman DeNunzio has done - I have heard from a number of the members that they wanted a choice and a race. I talked to Mike. Chris Bowman is also running. I expect us all to work together because we need each other. I'm happy to serve otherwise if vote isn't in my favor. A lot of people are jumping into this thing. ... Time conflicts are a decision I'm going to have to work out - properly delegate. Some CEO's will sit on a lot of boards. You can by delegation - it can be done. I have a lot of support from my family. I've talked to people about the conflict [with serving on the Planning Commission] - I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my ability to serve as a planning commissioner, neither do I want to jeopardize my party post. ... There might be an instance where I would have to recuse myself. That would be the case even now as a member [of the Republican Central Committee]. I've got verbal City Attorney opinion; I'm getting a written opinion. ... I would definitely bring the ability to be able to work with other parties. We always have been somewhat dismissed even though we're often provide a deciding vote - we have closer views to the majority than is represented. ... I'm generally respected, supported by two mayors, supermajority of the BOS. I'm hoping to be able to bridge the gap between business interests and others who have common interests - there's been a basic disconnect. ...