Monday, December 06, 2004

San Francisco Republican Party Chairman Mike DeNunzio, who's seeking another term, talked with The Examiner about the Jan. 13 election:

Everybody wants to be chairman. Not everybody has time to do the job, but certainly people want it. ... There are a number of members who are very qualified to be chairman. I think there has been a sea change over the past two years - a Republican President and Republican governor. My phone rings virtually all day long. Media, local and state government. These calls can't be delegated. They have to be attended to. It's the work of the party. [I'm a] full-time chairman who has connected the party with the downtown business community and the media. ... I don't know how anyone who has a full-time professional practice could be expected to attend to the full-time responsibilities of the chairman (that being challenger Mike Antonini, a dentist and planning commissioner). ... I am a former CEO [with board duties]. Other than that I devote 99 percent of my time to the Republican Party and that's what this party needs other than a president and governor. ... I think I have the votes. ...