Tuesday, July 13, 2010

When did you first develop an interest in politics? Were you always attracted to the issue of open media and open government?

I have been interested in politics since I was a teenager, maybe too interested. I find myself intrigued by power and the collective governance we call politics and also appalled by its endless pursuit. There is a good line by CS Lewis, "Great sacrifices in ... private happiness by those who have it may be necessary in order that it may be more widely distributed ... But do not let us mistake necessary evils for good."
As a newspaper editor in my early 20s, I becamse interested in how subjective news reports really are, and one of my early decisions was to include bylines with wire stories as a rule. I think the answer to subjectivity is increased transparency, and that media drive transformed into an interest in open government when government became my industry.

Ask me something

No comments:

Post a Comment